During the winter months, nothing stirs your soul and warms your core temperature like homemade, piping hot soup! From the kitchen at Mayacama Residences – A Timbers Residence Club, in Sonoma, California, Executive Chef Scott Pikey shares his wildly popular recipe for Chipotle Black Bean Soup.
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked in water 24 hours
- 2 each, garlic bulb
- 1 each, large white onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (24-32 oz)
- 1 each, chipotle pepper (or 1/4- to 1/2-can chiles in adobo)
- Salt + pepper to taste
1. Simmer the black beans uncovered in 1 gallon of clean, cold water until soft, about 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, blend the raw onion and garlic in a blender with the canned tomatoes and chipotle pepper until smooth.
3. When the beans are soft, in another large pan, heat up the olive oil until hot, CAREFULLY add the blended raw onion, garlic, tomato, and chipotle mix into the large pot and cook for 15 minutes on medium-high heat until slightly thickened.
4. Add the mixture to the pot of cooked beans (should be some residual water, this is fine), and return to a simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Once cool, blend the soup in a blender until desired consistency, adding more water if needed. Soup will thicken as it is blended.
6. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
Bon Appetit! Please feel free to share with friends and fellow soup lovers. And let us know what you think in the comments section below.