Every year, on the cusp of summer, we set aside two days to celebrate the people who made us: Mom and Dad. And every year, at Timbers Resorts, many of our Owners and guests find fresh ways to renew their appreciation of just those folks by celebrating at our luxury fractional homes.
It's Mother's Day and Father's Day, this month and next. While you spend your weekends with family, let's look back at where the holidays go their start, and at how you can celebrate, here, on a pair of special Sundays.
Quick History: How Moms and Dads Got Their Days
The holidays we share as Mother's and Father's Day have origins, in some cases spanning centuries.
- Mother's Day: From early Greek and Roman history, when celebrants held festivals connected to mother goddesses, all the way to 1868, when Ann Reeves Jarvis started a day honoring mothers that brought former Union and former Confederate moms together, precursors for Mother's Day abound. The key moment was in 1905, when Jarvis' daughter started the first Mother's Day as we know it … to recognize the sacrifices that mothers make for their kids.
- Father's Day: It was in the state of Washington, in 1909, that Sonora Smart Dodd first lobbied for a Mother's Day equivalent. She wanted to honor her father, who raised her and her five siblings on his own. She got the holiday passed in Washington, DC., in 1910. In 1972, the U.S. government made it an official day throughout the whole country.
Celebrating with Timbers Resorts
At Timbers Resorts, mothers and fathers are equally special, and both represent a reason to celebrate. If you're looking for some ideas this May 11 and June 15, check out these options, touching on just a few of our properties.
- Brunch at The Sebastian. Step into the mountain-inspired culinary world that is the Leonora bistro, starting your special day with brunch. You could even set aside the private dining room for a larger family event.
- Spa treatments at Castello di Casole. Why not make the day about a chance to rejuvenate? From classic massages to a pedicure accompanied by a glass of wine, moms or dads are certain to leave Essere with a fresh perspective on their day.
- Picnic at One Steamboat Place. If you're thinking about a bit of al fresco dining, have The Truffle Pig's culinary experts craft the perfect picnic basket for your Mother's or Father's Day spread.
- Private outing at The Preserve at Botany Bay. Maybe it's a day of sailing, paddle boarding or snorkeling. The team on property can set up a private day for mom and dad to remember.
However you spend Mother's Day and Father's Day, we invite you to spend it with us. Play, relax … and wine and dine the important people who got you here in the first place. Timbers Resorts is ready to help make your holiday special for the whole family.
To learn more about Timbers Resorts, please contact us at 800.941.4579 (toll free) or 970.963.4626 (direct) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.